2022-2023 Internal Funding Opportunities
- The Center for Social Science Scholarship Small Research Grant Fund: Awards of varying amounts support faculty, PhD students, masters students, and undergraduate students in the social sciences at UMBC who have already exhausted all other available departmental/university support.
- BreakingGround grants program to support course-related and project-related civic innovations at UMBC.
July 18, 2022: Deadline for applications for the Supplement for Undergraduate Research Experiences (SURE) program, to support faculty in hiring undergraduate research assistants.
- September 23, 2022: Deadline for letters of intention for the Technology Catalyst Fund, to advance innovations originating from UMBC research to more commercially viable technologies.
- September 30, 2022: Deadline for the fall semester CAHSS Dean’s Student Research Assistance for Faculty Research and Creative Achievement. This fund supports the inclusion of UMBC graduate and undergraduate students in faculty-led research and creative achievement. Award Size: between $1,500 to $2,000.
- October 15, 2022: Deadline for the fall semester CAHSS Grants for Pedagogy and Teaching. Grants are available to all faculty—tenured/tenure-track, lecturers, adjunct, and graduate teaching assistants (excepting visiting faculty)—who teach courses in CAHSS.
- October 15, 2022: Deadline for the fall semester CAHSS Dean’s Research Fund (CDRF). Awards of up to $5,000 support the research endeavors of CAHSS tenured and tenure-track faculty and lecturers.
- October 15, 2022: Deadline for the CAHSS Research Fellows Program. Permits one semester of release time to support outstanding research and creative activity and to advance the careers of CAHSS faculty members. Only tenured associate professors and full professors are eligible to apply.
- October 28, 2022: Deadline for the fall semester Hrabowski Innovation Fund Grants program. Types of awards include Seed awards, Adaptation awards, Scholarship of Teaching and Learning awards, and Implementation and Research awards.
- November 11, 2022: Accelerated Translational Incubator Pilot (ATIP) with UMB-ICTR. Awards of up to $50,000 support projects specifically focused on innovative, translational research that involve faculty from the UMB Schools, UMBC, and collaborative partners.
- November 2022: The 2023 Center for Social Science Scholarship Summer Fellowship opens. Applications are due February 15, 2023..
- December 9, 2022: Center and Institute Departmentally-Engaged Research (CIDER) seed funding program. Up to 3 $50K awards per cycle.
- January 25, 2023: The Sherman Center Faculty Research Award: Supports research about policies and practices that enhance the learning of young children, ages three through eight, in urban communities like Baltimore.
- February 2023 (exact date TBA): Deadline for UMBC Summer Research Faculty Fellowship (SURFF). Awards of up to $6,000 support non-tenured, tenure-track UMBC faculty pursuing research and scholarly projects during the summer, including projects in all departments.
- February 15, 2023: Deadline for the Center for Social Science Scholarship Summer Fellowship. Provides a summer stipend to tenure-track and tenured faculty doing social science research. 2023 Summer Fellowship application will open in November 2022.
- March 2023 (exact date TBA): Deadline for UMBC Strategic Awards for Research Transitions (START). Awards of up to $25,000 support UMBC faculty to advance their scholarly and research endeavors, to compete more effectively for external support and to pursue new areas of inquiry.
- March 1, 2023: Deadline for the spring semesterCAHSS Dean’s Student Research Assistance for Faculty Research and Creative Achievement. This fund supports the inclusion of UMBC graduate and undergraduate students in faculty-led research and creative achievement. Award Size: between $1,500 to $2,000.
- March 2, 2023: Annual deadline for the The Eileen and Jerry Carroll Faculty Research Fund Awards of up to $2,000 support faculty in cross-disciplinary research and creative achievement that encourages civic engagement and interdisciplinary collaboration.
- March 31, 2023: Deadline for the spring semester Hrabowski Innovation Fund Grants program. Types of awards include Seed awards, Adaptation awards, Scholarship of Teaching and Learning awards, and Implementation and Research awards.
- May 31, 2023: Deadline for CS3 Faculty Working Groups: The Center for Social Science Scholarship invites applications for new Fall 2023 Faculty Working Groups to promote intellectual exchange in the social sciences and across campus. These collaborative scholarly learning communities will meet regularly to work on research projects, read key literature, explore new methodological approaches, and/or engage in matters of public interest related to the social sciences. Call for new Faculty Working Groups will go out in April 2023.
On-Campus Grants Assistance
The Center for Social Science Scholarship’s Research Administration unit assists faculty members and departments by providing pre-award and post-grant management assistance. To set up an appointment to meet with staff, email or email@example.com.