2018-2019 Internal Funding Opportunities
- September 24: Deadline for applications for the Supplement for Undergraduate Research Experiences (SURE) program, to support faculty in hiring undergraduate research assistants.
- October 8: Deadline for the fall semester CAHSS Dean’s Research Fund (CDRF) funding opportunity. Provides up to $5,000 to support the research endeavors of CAHSS tenured and tenure-track faculty and lecturers.
- October 8: Deadline for the fall semester CAHSS Grants for Pedagogy and Teaching. Grants are available to all faculty—tenured/tenure-track, lecturers, adjunct, and graduate teaching assistants (excepting visiting faculty)—who teach courses in CAHSS.
- November 1: Deadline for the CAHSS Research Fellows Program. Permits one semester of release time to support outstanding research and creative activity and to advance the careers of CAHSS faculty members. Only tenured Associate Professors and full Professors are eligible to apply.
- February 15: Deadline for the Center for Social Science Scholarship/CAHSS Summer Faculty Research Fellowship. Provides a summer stipend to tenure-track and tenured faculty doing social science research. More information is available here.
- February 15: Deadline for UMBC Strategic Awards for Research Transitions (START) [formerly “SRAIS”]. Supports UMBC faculty to advance their scholarly and research endeavors, to compete more effectively for external support and to pursue new areas of inquiry. Up to $25,000.
- February 22: Deadline for UMBC Summer Research Faculty Fellowship (SURFF) [formerly “SFF”]. Supports non-tenured, tenure-track UMBC faculty pursuing research and scholarly projects during the summer, including projects in all departments. Up to $6,000.
- April 8: Deadline for the spring semester CAHSS Grants for Pedagogy and Teaching. Grants are available to all faculty—tenured/tenure-track, lecturers, adjunct, and graduate teaching assistants (excepting visiting faculty)—who teach courses in CAHSS.
- April 8: Deadline for the spring semester CAHSS Dean’s Research Fund (CDRF) funding opportunity. Provides up to $5,000 to support the research endeavors of CAHSS tenured and tenure-track faculty and lecturers.
- May 1: Deadline for Social Science Undergraduate Research Award. The Center for Social Science Scholarship is sponsoring four Social Science URAs, which provide up to $1,500 to undergraduate student researchers whose work, in collaboration with a faculty mentor, uses social science to explore the world or address socially relevant concerns.
- May 30: Deadline for Faculty Working Groups. The Center for Social Science Scholarship invites applications for Faculty Working Groups to promote intellectual exchange in the social sciences and across campus. These collaborative scholarly learning communities will meet regularly to work on research projects, read key literature, explore new methodological approaches, and/or engage in matters of public interest related to the social sciences.
- Ongoing: The Center for Social Science Scholarship Small Research Grant Fund: Provides up to $1,000 per year to UMBC full-time tenured/tenure-track faculty, lecturers, and Ph.D. students in the social sciences who have already exhausted all other available university support.
On-Campus Grants Assistance
- Housed within the Center for Social Science Scholarship, the Maryland Institute for Policy, Analysis, and Research (MIPAR) assists faculty members and departments in obtaining funding for their research, by helping locate funding opportunities and by providing pre-award and post-grant management assistance. To set up an appointment to meet with staff, email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- Current externally-funded social science research that MIPAR has supported include projects in economics, political science, public policy, sociology, anthropology, emergency health services, and more. Go here to read MIPAR research highlights!
External Funding Opportunities
- Go here to access a curated list of current funding opportunities for social science faculty and graduate students (as of 2/19).
- If you are a UMBC faculty member or student who is not yet receiving these emails and would like to be added to the list, email firstname.lastname@example.org.